PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Rejecting A Takeoff After V1…why Does It (still) Happen?
Old 7th Dec 2010, 20:51
johns7022

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
John - Personally I am not a certified test pilot...but flight testing is more then a passing interest and something that I have studied....more to the point I have sought out personal discussions with people who were on the ground changing out brakes during the S550 ground runs at Lake Havisu and others with regard to anti lock brakes, VMO...ect.

I am not here to flout the numbers or suggest everyone willy nilly do what they want in the plane counter to good pilot practice...but when it comes to judgment calls, where it's one bad choice vs another bad choice...then the variables for those choices come into play..the more we know the more we understand, the best we can make a good decision.

If Joe Test pilot can do a V1 RTO for the given conditions....he will stop in X feet...but you will be given Y feet...a much higher number. If they tell you that your brakes will work 100% of the time from a V1 RTO....I can guarantee that 5 knots faster is not some magic wall you have crossed where you go from 100% reliability to 100% failure. It doesn't work that way.

Now maybe stalling speeds are somewhat aerodynamically absolute.....the VMO numbers you get have a 50 kt buffer with a big g force pull back..

So just for the record if you have the runway to stop, but are willing to fly a burning wreck through the air because you feel your brakes will fail, because your 5 kts over V1, I don't agree.