PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Quit Aviation Now. There are No Jobs
View Single Post
Old 7th Dec 2010, 20:10
Hi Lok

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Interesting reading the various posts. My experience is that the industry, especially airlines are only offering a low amount of apprenticeships. It also means that the academic qualification requirement goes up. That leaves the others that used to enjoy the chance with lesser qualifications or grades on the scrap heap, because their aren't any craft/manual apprenticeship schemes. If there are, they are limited. Unless it's in manufacturing of course.
The wannabe's that decide at a later stage in life they want get involved then have to face the other route of which includes starting at the bottom and sometimes working for nothing. Airlines, MRO's and some contract agencies in some cases will take advantage of this and I would say exploit. The aviation industry in Europe is on it's knees and most work is in the Middle East, Asia or Australia and the salaries are higher as well. Obviously there is a delta in terms of working conditions and management styles between ME, Asia and Australia but thats the way it is.
To say finding another trade or career path, well that is an option, but as a lot of people said, if you try you will EVENTUALLY find somehwere or something that suits you. Having been in the industry for 34 years and having worked for 6 airlines they more or less are ALL the same. Only time will tell in the current climate and lets ALL hope we enjoy what we did in the past. I'm afraid engineering is ALWAYS the pauper and money drain in airlines and has been the cloth cap trade and are treated as such.
Don't let em grind yer down, thats what I say