PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Becoming a pilot?
View Single Post
Old 7th Dec 2010, 18:12
blasteryui

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Becoming a pilot?

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post.. but here it goes. So I'm 18 years old, I live in Ontario, Canada and I want to become a pilot. I'm scared of heights, but I want to fly and I think that would be neat to over-come. I've been in a plane before several years ago and didn't have any problems looking down below.

Anyways, so there is a college in my province that offers a 2 year course in aviation, gives you 250 hours of flight time and says I can apply for my commercial license when I graduate. However the course is going to cost about 5 thousand to do, but the flight fees is going to be about 40,000. So I might be paying up to 50,000 to get this all done. Assuming I get my license and everything's clear, are there a lot of job opportunities as a pilot in Ontario, because I' will have to pay off at least 40,000 dollars that's not my money.

Next, how much do pilots generally make in Ontario, or Canada in general, and finally, I DO want to have a family "eventually" not anytime soon, in fact I could careless about kids atm, but I definitely want to have a girlfriend, and eventually a wife. I know a few times of the month I will be gone from home, how has this affected you if you have a wife and your gone away for days at a time. Is there a way to be home at night and not be gone all the time? Such as flying cargo? I'm very, very new to all this, so please be nice.