PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Dubai - Perth - Safety?
View Single Post
Old 7th Dec 2010, 08:07
TightSlot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
See HERE at the same site for further information. The light blue circles are centred on airfields along the route and indicate 90 minutes flying time on a Boeing 777 at the speed being used if an engine had failed and the aircraft was flying on one engine. As you will see, you are much close to airfield throughout the flight than you may have realised.

If you are travelling on a four engined aircraft there are no (or very, very few) additional rules or requirements for the route: A two-engined aircraft is subject to a set of rules known as ETOPS that mandate a whole series of special procedures.

Finally, Perth itself, is a very geographically remote place and requires a small set of policies and procedures (island reserve fuel?) to cover landing flights. On this last, I may well be out of date, or simply incorrect - I'm sure that somebody will advise if so.

It's a pretty routine route and flight for EK, and indeed many others (I've flown it as CC in a 767 several times). Probably best, if you want a view, to sit on the left, but bear in mind that the actual route may not be exactly a great circle i.e. may be different from the map above - Enjoy!