PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Could this happen: a non-pilot landing a heavy jet ??
Old 25th Aug 2002, 16:50
teropa

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pilot Pete,

I'd like to comment a little on me being defensive about a couple of things.

I started off with a "nice to know" topic, where I was aiming at a couple of replies from a few of you guys (pros), to correct me in the simplified list that I wrote in the first page.

Yes, I knew that I would get some of the "forget about it you lowly simmer.. you don't know first thing about real flying..." -stuff.
Even tho I have plenty of flying experience outside my "many a sad nights in front of my PC", it sure has no bearing on this issue. And maybe it shouldn't.

What I didn't know was that a majority of the replies were like that. Like one of the moderators (and some others as well) has said, I really would like to "be given a break". Instead, I've been given replies that dismiss me (and other non-pro aviation enthusiasts) without any backing up of their opinion, I've been thrown a bunch of abnormal situations, malfunctions that would happen onboard the "real thing", that I've tried to answer the best I could, and I've also been called a LIAR (inbetween the lines tho, but anyway). I would say that I have kept my cool pretty well during the course of my replies. To be PERFECTLY honest, I've tried to act a little over-friendly to keep this thread going, even though the situation hadn't really deserved that.

I know what I'm capable of, and what I could do if I had to. I'm not sure if everyone here can say that about themselves, regardless of their training. It really seems to me that the "road" of this thread is going to be bumpy if continued, and there is no point in trying to "convince" (which wasn't my aim for this topic) any of you about what could be done in the situation by a non-pro.

Now, honestly, I appreciate the _information_ given in this thread.
I also appreciate the opinions of some who have not taken their ego to "the battle". As far as I'm concerned, I'm back to lurk-mode now, and am not going to continue on this topic anymore.

Thanks everyone and fly safe!!

cheers,
Tero