PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qantas A380 uncontained #2 engine failure
Old 6th Dec 2010, 20:09
bearfoil

first floor

I see reference made to the "abutment" (face?) of the Splines, in the AD, and I take it to mean the Splines termination at what I would call "Ring Boss". Splines cannot defer thrust, to my knowledge, so it occurs elsewhere? The "Ring" may run in a central groove on the inner race of Bearing #2, but without pics, what to do? My feeling for loss of Splines has to do with possible overspeed (had they rubbed "smoothe")? And Thrust has to do with axial movement, but I am very old-fashioned.

It is also possible that the splines are "part of" the inner race, and serve only to add surface area to a very critical Joint. If they are "attached" I haven't a clue how that would work. At some stage, the Engine needs to be disassembled, and the "Slip" of the Spline joint would allow axial travel for strip?

To add: Stub Pipe. Not even an id as to which end of the pipe we are looking at, eh? RR is close to the vest, and until I see some engineering drawings, I'm not stepping foot on a TRENT motivated airframe, unless it is chocked, and I'm near an exit. But that's just me.

bear