PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - F-111C End of an Era
View Single Post
Old 6th Dec 2010, 14:31
Magic Mushroom

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Err...Yes MM - a lot better than today. It was ordered in 1963, and the first Aussie crews flew it in US in 1968 to then ferry them home. Then wing carry-through boxes delayed acceptance until 1973. In those days Air Force was a separate ministry and looked after its own procurement and it worked well, Mirage being another example of that era. Despite delays with the F-111, it served us as a fantastic deterrant from 1973 until 2010.
I was drawing comparisons more with the F-111 Project as a whole BB rather than the RAAF order per se. Sadly, it appears de rigour for development and procurement processes to grow with each generation.

Even then however, there are remarkable parallels with F-35. Due to the F-111 developmental problems you mention, the RAAF was forced to borrow a capable and versatile off the shelf US type (F-4E, which many advocated keeping in place of the F-111!) until your Gucci new F-111s could be delivered. I don’t think you got your first jets back to Oz until 1973 but am happy to be corrected.

Remember also that once the USN F-111B was cancelled, the Aardvark was also a single service, single role type. In comparison, F-35 is designed to meet the needs of 3 x US services as well as the RAF and RN whilst trying to maintain its selling point as an F-16 replacement to dozens of other nations.

I must admit however, I’ve never really followed the RAAF decision to commit 100% of your combat air capability to F-35 so early in its gestation.

Anyway, look on the bright side: at least by ending all the dump and burn party stuff, you’ll stand more chance of avoiding global warming and allowing rain clouds to form over Adelaide!

Regards,
MM