PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - easyJet, Ryanair, Monarch - shame on you!
Old 6th Dec 2010, 12:08
Agaricus bisporus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nicholas, I expect Easy's problems are largely because thay are an order of magnitute bigger than most other carriers and operate a vastly more complex route structure at a much higher intensity with much tighter margins on available resources. This keeps the cost down but also makes for vulnerability when things do not run smoothly. Its true there have been meltdowns in the Operations system and I doubt very much that they've been completely resolved, but the Gordian knot that occurs when 200 aircraft and their crews are scattered to the four winds by a week's worth of multiple airport closures and a big strike simply takes a long time to untie. Simple routes like BA, Monarch, AF etc which just work in-out-in-out are hugely easier to reinstate than Easy's complex dependant route structure. That too is no doubt partly to blame.

PP, sadly some people will never listen to reason nor accept that they can't have something simply because it is not there. Much of the negative press airlines get on these occasions is because of unreasoning and frankly infantile attitudes of the I want! I want! I want! Me! Me! Me! generation. Your extraordinary statement that the passenger is felt to be a nuisance is purely in your imagination, its rather sad that people can't see the vast amounts of hard work, pride and dedication that goes into runing airlines and, in my experience, is even more so in lo-cos. Of course things can be improved but if you choose to buy a budget ticket please don't wail that there aren't hordes of staff there to wet-nurse you when you think you're being ignored. Suggest you look at the Geneva thread nearby this one and read the comments of the customer who's ticked off at national carriers and says "Easyjet next time". You too are making general macro-accusations from very specific and particular personal micro-events, and that's not logical, rational or accurate.

I have no idea what business you run, but I doubt you'd justify employing four times the number of staff required simply to cope with customer inconvenience on the three or four days per year when they are all needed. Heck, maybe you would...but imagine your prices? Just how, exactly, do you expect a budget airline not to be constrained by that same economic law?
Oh. It's just occurred to me! Do you work in the Government or Civil Service?

Sadly I don't think we'll ever convince some people that the impossible cannot be achieved right now on demand.

Last edited by Agaricus bisporus; 6th Dec 2010 at 12:18.