PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - controllers can earn 350,000 euros ($470,000; £297,000)
Old 6th Dec 2010, 07:51
millerman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
@Junior Jetset - you really are a troll!

Training is easily provided and not as exspensive like gaining an ATPL - although I do apprecaite the time to train is similar or longer.
The latest cost estimate for training a fully rated ATCO at my unit is €750,000 and takes over 2 years Since when has an ATPL cost that?

Surely with 20% unemployed there is scope to train up the young and keen who who could do the job at a fraction of the coast akin to Ryanair FOs
You have completely missed the point there as well.Unlike an ATPL where if you throw enough money at it and resit enough exams most people will pass. Not just anyone can do the job of an ATCO, there is some innate ability that is very hard to spot
Millions of Euros have been spent developing selection tests and yet there are still 50% failure rates. 100% success rate from selection test are the holy grail for recruitment and ANSPs would love to drag people off the street (or from the dole queue) and train them up. I'm sure Mr o'Leary would be a lot happier as well

A I said in my previous post the situation in Spain is completely manufactured by the government. They were very happy with the situation before the crisis paying overtime rather than training costs. But as soon as they realised how much they were paying and wanted to privatise they started changing the rules and whinging like little brats.
Don't get me wrong I am not fully in favour of the controllers in Spain, their union has also a lot to answer for, but the government is acting like a dictatorship and not telling the whole truth