PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Search to resume
View Single Post
Old 6th Dec 2010, 04:44
Machinbird

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I read a substantial portion of the Drift Group Report when it was presented on this thread.
My impression (and only an impression) after reading this report is that each member of the group approached the problem as best they could within their specialties and then wrote up their reports without substantial interaction.
The reports were then bundled together into a master report, and a summary was generated to assemble them into some sort of framework.
It is not clear that all members of the group gathered together at some point to generate the summary and I didn't see evidence of an attempt to fuse diverse approaches to the problem to create new analytic tools.

Now the foregoing is NOT a condemnation of the report or the work of the contributors. I merely think that this was an impossibly difficult task and the widely separated members did the best they could with insufficient data.

If I am correct, the function of the report was to highlight the best information available to plan a search and to logically justify the expenditure of the substantial funds required for the search. I suspect the POL spot emerged late in the development of the report and there was not adequate time to revise the already presented papers.

Again, the foregoing is just my personal impression, and someone else may have gathered an entirely different impression of the report.
Feel free to disagree. I'm curious if others received the same impression from the report.