PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Use of GPS
Thread: Use of GPS
View Single Post
Old 25th Aug 2002, 09:28
englishal

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GPS 101

Actually, its nearer 10 m accuracy with a 12 channel receiver. You can have a look athttp://users.erols.com/dlwilson/gpsacc.htm for the results of a series of tests of common GPS receivers. To cut a long story short, the accuracy of the GPS III+ is RMS 4.2m, mean error of 3.6m, within 3.4m 50% of the time, and within 7.5m 95% of the time with an average of 6.8 satellites in view. (A 1° error tracking a VOR at 40 nm will put you 1293m off track as a comparison)

Positional errors are very rare (by this I mean the GPS tells you you're 10 miles from where you should be)...each satellite transmits a health status message, so the receiver will reject error signals. If there are too few satellites in view, then the position error will increase, but your GPS unit will let you know, even the cheap ones like the eTrek.

There's nothing wrong with using GPS as a primary means to Navigation, I've used it to fly IFR in the US. But it IS wise (and good airmanship) to back up you navigation using other methods as well, its called 'situational awareness'.

Anyway, I reckon this post is a wind up

Cheers
EA