PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ryan Air and EZ Jet Looking!!
View Single Post
Old 25th Aug 2002, 09:14
JB007

PPRuNe Secret Agent!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm glad everyone is in agreement that the system stinks.

But I can see why airlines are doing it with the present economic climate in this industry and training budgets is one of the biggest budgets in any airline.

It doesn't suprise me the low-cost operators have started operating this scheme, i'm actually suprised they didn't start it before now. It clearly works well for Astraeus and other charter airlines who's busy period is between the months of May and October and need alot more crew numbers only for this period.

At this moment in time, I think it's purely market driven. Airlines need to cut costs and they are able to do so by asking in-experianced pilots to pay for their rating and get away with paying them very little when they are on-line. But will this continue if/when the so called pilot shortage appears and there is alot more choice ?

Also, with all the companies mentioned here, we are talking about jet types. I was always told to aim high but maybe all of us low-houred guys should lower our standards and expectations to a more realistic level until the pilot market comes out of the present low. There are still alot of turbo-prop operators around the UK (flybe / B.A.C.E / Logan Air / bmi regional). Even the 146 is a realistic type to aim for. You will probably be bonded but so what!, you'll have a permanent contract and be earning the same as those guy's who have just paid out 20K for a type rating and run the threat of getting laid off at the end of the summer...

Just a thought....

Last edited by JB007; 25th Aug 2002 at 13:18.