PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Rejecting A Takeoff After V1…why Does It (still) Happen?
Old 5th Dec 2010, 20:13
galaxy flyer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Johns7022

You persist in making obvious your total lack of knowledge of take-off performance under Part 25 and complete ignorance of reduced power or derated power performance. By definition, the field length CANNOT be "in the weeds". In an assumed temp reduced power take-off, the plane will, be definition, perform better than the calculations. Any reduced power take-off MUST meet all the runway and obstacle clearance criteria using he reduced power setting without resetting the throttles.

I'll agree with anyone here that in exceptional cases, aborting after V1 is a proper decision. But, that is exceptional cases, not the standard engine failure. I also stipulate business jets on long runways that far exceed the BFL of the day have an inherent ability to stop. In the C-5, every take-off had about 30 numbers calculed, including Vmcg,Vmca, refusal speed, AEO field length, critical field length.

Before advocating stopping after V1, do you calculate a refusal speed and ASDR for every take-off? Do you calculate a Vmcg for each take-off where a wet runway, contaminated runway or crosswinds are factors? Do you use a runway analysis for each runway, including any special departure procedurefot terrain? Do you brief and do sim practice on flying the SDP?

If not, you're just stringing a whizzer on "I can look out the window and judge that I can stop". Also, johns7022, just how many ASDR equals ASDA take-offs have you done to judge your stopping distance? Citations don't stop that well, if my distant memory of 2,500 hours in CII serves.

GF