PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A380 engine failure - Qantas
View Single Post
Old 5th Dec 2010, 14:07
bearfoil

TurbineD

Point taken. However, the 'damage' is consonant with the offset of the 'miscreant drill'. I still think it possible that the 'smoothed' offset is wear induced, perhaps caused by an 'aspirator' affixed to the end of the Stub. An open and unadorned exit of an oil supply/scavenge doesn't fit with a supply that is highly engineered to 'mist' its lubricant.

I could see a rotating tip, an 'aspirator' to induce an aerosol mist into the bearing cavity.

The AD specifically mentions Vanes. Restrictor Vanes. The AD also addresses "clogging" vanes. If there was such a "fan" at the tip of this line, its loss would increase oil supply. If this increase in Oil Supply is too much for the scavenge system, the case would flood with oil. This unscavenged Oil would be noted at Flight's end by line people, or even spoken by a CEO: "There is Oil where it shouldn't be..." Alan Joyce.

If this "imagined" aspirator became "clogged" it would resist the Oil's flow, and perhaps, if out of balance, cause the wear that is evident on this terminus.

I think your point is well taken, but I also doubt any destructive testing would want to 'follow' an out of round (eccentric) fault.

conjecture.

bearfoil