PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Quit Aviation Now. There are No Jobs
View Single Post
Old 5th Dec 2010, 12:43
whissper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Further comments

It is interesting to note the how there seem to be two differing view coming from this thread. One is that attitude is everything and with that I agree totally. The other is that the industry is not all that is cracked up to be and that training organisations are really only interested in training more students and that jobs are scarce.

Right a little bit more background for those who have not read my other posts.

I have completed both mechanical and avionics exams to EASA standard. I finished at the top of my mechanical class. I did avionics to broaden my appeal to potential employers (and to actually get a mechanical license there is a requirement to have completed Modules 3 and 4 I believe but to a lessor standard). My ultimate aim is to be qualified in both. If pressed I would prefer avionics first but it really doesn't matter.

All my instructors have rated me favourably and I have seen their evaluation of me as being excellent. I got on well with classmates, did the work, understood the tasks, worked as team player, understood the concepts, etc. I really struggle to see how this does not translate into a least an interview.

I have applied for something like 14 roles in the past year. I didn't really care where they were (e.g. NT, WA, north Qld, etc) or who they were. Despite all of the above I CANNOT get an interview. I have asked repeatedly for employer feedback and it is not readily forthcoming. In particular my agency makes out that is the responsibility of employer and not them. Yet after so many goes can they at least explain to me why I have not at least made an interview.

QANTAS recruitment is now run by HR. I failed QANTAS psychometric evaluation and only because I pressed them did I get any answers.. The days of being the best are gone and now you have to conform to a "standard". Fall outside of the standard and you are not wanted.

I've talked to local operators as far north as the Sunshine Coast and south to Coolangatta. The impression I get is the EASA is not wanted by many aviation businesses. Sure EASA is wanted by the QANTAS, Virgin Blue, Jetstar, Strategic, Australian Aerospace, Boeing and maybe a handful of other employers. Yet MOST aviation maintenance jobs are in general aviation (there are thousands more GA aircraft than RPT). Something that is not explained well, if at all, by training organisations.

I have even taken a different approach of advertising for work in the national trade paper. I got four responses. Two died immediately. One lasted a week and I spent hours trying to find a contact phone number for them. The fourth lasted about a month and half.

The CASA website for job searching is broken and has been for months. It might be fixed by Christmas but more likely next year. I've asked for a CAO listing and they say they cannot give me one (despite it being shown on the screen). Many aviation maintenance businesses don't advertise in phone books and internet adverts are not reliable. Of the emails I have sent seeking employment there would be less than a handful who have responded.

You might understand a little of my frustration, anger and bitterness. Why is it that lesser quality students are GIVEN employment (the lowest two in my class were practically given jobs) yet the more capable are still wondering what they are lacking. When half my class are employed before or when they leave the school, it leaves a very sour taste in my mouth when months later nothing has changed for me.