Thread: Spanish ATC
View Single Post
Old 5th Dec 2010, 12:07
Lon More

More than just an ATCO

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
From LH2
If they are not controllers they must be supervising;
I have already commented on this. Please read what has been posted if you wish to reply.
So, what are they actually doing? Their very presence is intimidating.

I am not in a position to make such a judgement. May I know the basis for your assertion?
In ATC most of my career, controller, Training Officer, did a bit of development work, ended up a Supervisor at Maastricht UAC; it's in my profile.
What do you do? Do you actually work in aviation or journalism? Your profile is remarkably vague.

I would feel very concerned however, about having to fly in a sector under control of someone who needs intimidation to go to work. And no, it's not about the stress, it's about the lack of maturity shown by such a person. The former you can deal with, but the latter...
Stay out of the airspace. Until this us resolved IFALPA should red flag it and everybody stay away. Nobody NEEDS, or wants, intimidation to go to work and anyone put in that situation will not be providing a safe, expeditious service. The lack of maturity is shown by the persons who have decided to use a sledge-hammer to crack a nut.

I am genuinely interested to hear, Lon, about your experience visiting Spanish control centres and interacting with Spanish ATCOs,
Again read my profile. I worked in a multi-national environment, plenty of Spanish to talk to, also French, German, Dutch, Belgian, Greeks, even a couple of Brits so plenty of interaction there. Worked with Spanish Controllers on projects at Bretigny and visited a number of Centres when on Fam. Flights. I was appalled at the working conditions, equipment and salaries back in the 1970s and slowly saw them improve.

His Dudeness wrote
Go back and breed donkeys or whatever Spain made a living of before the EU.
another helpful comment.
The answer being to provide a training ground for somebody's Condor Legions perhaps?

edited to add - many peoples' perception, including a few here, of a controller still seems to be of the person waving two table tennis bats around. That takes a few weeks training. Even with the pared back training that today's controllers get it still takes in the region of three years from start to finish and IMHO does not produce as good a result.

Last edited by Lon More; 5th Dec 2010 at 12:34.