PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 25%+ cut in allowances!
View Single Post
Old 5th Dec 2010, 11:37
Daf Hucker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Drugsdontwork,

You are quite right, civvies don't get "home-to-duty", however, if a company moved you from one location to another for the benefit of said company, they would recompense associated costs and they certainly wouldn't expect you to take a pay cut (unless they are trying to get you to resign, now there's a thought!). If you are posted to a non-flying post, in the interest of the service, the MOD cannot reasonably expect you to be financially worse off for doing so.

I am too old to provide the return of service for another OCU and am about to be posted to a non-flying, but "flying associated" post 200 miles away, for my last tour. Does the MOD/RAF expect me bare all the additional travel costs myself? I could move my family 200 miles with me, but is that really cost effective as they would have to provide me with the associated allowances (housing / disturbance / relocation etc).

It is easy to compare us with civvies and feel that we may be better off, but you need compare us with civvies who are being asked to move etc, due to the requirements of the company they work for.

For me personally, screwing around with the allowances that are paid in recompense for the costs incurred due to the requirements of the service, will be the final nail in the coffin. Sad really, it is not how I imagined I would be feeling in the last few years of service, having joined in 1977.