PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Chinook - Still Hitting Back 3 (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 5th Dec 2010, 09:28
Chugalug2

Received 228 Likes on 71 Posts
bast0n:-
You have been looking in my logbook again!
Seriously though, you have a point. The Wx 5 was the first, (I think), with computer controlled engines with no manual backup. ........
Yes FADEC may well have contributed to this one - mis-handled - uncontrollable - who knows, and I have never claimed to in spite of your assertion. Never mind - must go and re-fish oil my Wanchai burberry..........
Thank you bast0n for seeing the point I was making and for revealing a not dissimilar situation with the Wessex 5 in your day. I had no idea that there had been previous non-manual back-up engine controllers prior to the HC2's. Interesting perhaps that they were manual in the interim. Not wishing to start a geek war, but I think AA is slightly in error to say that computer means necessarily digital, as both you and I come from a far off time when they were all analogue, including the Aer Lingus 1-11 sim ("St.Thetic", clever eh?) and the Dan-Air Comet sim. Notorious though they were for drifting off spec, they could always be tweaked back on again and didn't tend to go off on one as the rogue digital ones loaded with duff code per the Chinook Mk2 could.That was the point I was making and that you acknowledge. "Putting the airworthiness considerations aside", as some would have us do, is not an option I'm afraid. They existed, are pertinent, and must be fully reviewed IMHO. It is highly probable that they were a root cause of this tragedy.
BTW could we have a translation of your last sentence, or is it a naval ritual over which one might best politely draw a veil?