PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Approach ban - single pilot IFR ops.
View Single Post
Old 5th Dec 2010, 08:18
IO540

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FWIW...

Private flight with all-electronic data is 100% legal in both G-reg and N-reg. This one has been done to death many times.

May not be "wise", which is why I print off all info needed for the planned flight plus diversions. But that's a different debate.

On AOC ops, if the approved manual says you have to wear pink underpants when flying a VOR approach, and blue ones when flying an NDB approach, that's what you have to do. But that isn't private flight.

I am no supporter of Jepp as a company (having suffered their dreadful customer service a number of times) but the great thing about electronic Jepp delivery is that it is very quick and easy to update the package, while it doesn't in any way preclude flying with printed data.

I used to have the UK Jepp (and before that the Aerad) paper subs, and one gets the warm feeling of sitting in the airport cafe for an hour, inserting the changes into the ring binder so everybody around thinks you are a "real commercial pilot". Now I just have my cup of tea and s0d off home, while several other "pretend commercial pilots" go through the ritual

There are commercial certified EFB solutions but they are always duplicated systems working off separate power sources etc.

1 or 2 pilots I know fly with an Ipad holding all their data, which I think will bite them in the b*m one day, when the thing packs up. It's OK as a backup...