PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Spanish ATC
Thread: Spanish ATC
View Single Post
Old 5th Dec 2010, 05:58
ATC Watcher
Pegase Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Similarities with 1981 USA ATC and Ronald Reagan's measures

Songbird29 : Perfectly correct about the similarities between PATCO 1981 and Spain today about a Union believing they could win in isolation, or better said : strong enough to shut down the country, and get whatever they wanted as former USCA President declared a year or two ago. I had forgotten that point. An that of Flow Control of course. You're right on that one too ( except for CFMU in Europe that was created because demand exploded and infrastructure could not follow )

When I said totally different situations I was more refering to the staff numbers . In 1981 the FAA facilities were overstaffed,and they were a relatively large workforce (young retired controllers in their late 40s and early 50s, management guys with licence, instructors, military etc..)that could be used to fill a gap. In Spain their are vastly understaffed ( hence the overtime and problems today) No retired controllers able to take over (too old anyway) , very few management holding a license , plus a very small military controller workforce ( a couple of Hundred max ).

Another large similarity between the 2 is the Political will of a Government to crunch a Union and set an example for the others Unions. (remember the postal workers Union in 81 that also wanted to challenge the Federal employees Strike ban ?)

As to IFATCA poor reaction : I was in that meeting in Amsterdam. There were much more that one European Union wanting to strike support . But the consensus was against, you're right. People were affraid among other things that the US Government would take over the control over the lucrative High seas in The North Atlantic., and possibly never give it back .
Bringing back strange memories all that.
ATCW