PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Finnair A340 attempts takeoff from taxiway
Old 5th Dec 2010, 01:47
Sciolistes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Grimmrad
gDo you guys have QC sessions? We have sessions were missed cases or wrong diagnoses are discussed. To learn from them. And everyone knows he is not free of mistakes also (but you always hope it is not one of the cases you read coming up that day)... So why not having meetings with airline pilots and even psychologist were they come clean and talk about their errors which maybe did not make it into the news and were they luckily could walk away from to talk about it so others and they themselves can learn and improve.
We do sort of have such a system, but it depends from airline to airline. In my company we have an open reporting system, where we are encouraged to report any safety or security issues (and anything else we think is pertinant).

The problem is that it doesnt matter how often the company makes the point that reporting would never result in disciplinary action, many pilots dont. I have reported myself several times and results have been between nothing happens, to a phone call or a very positive chat. On one occasion I unwittingly identified a general weakness in procedure and memo was the result.