PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Chinook - Still Hitting Back 3 (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 4th Dec 2010, 20:48
Airborne Aircrew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Baston:

The Wx 5 was the first, (I think), with computer controlled engines with no manual backup. God knows if digital came into it but I suspect not!
By definition "computer controlled" is "digital"... Just for information.

With regard to the FADEC. It has been stated that the code "cannot be audited". That's an utter joke... Actually, it's not because it is so bloody unfunny when the code controls critical systems. The code, like any other code, is auditable - someone has to load the code to the chips from somewhere so there is a "source". So there's another reason why it "can't be audited" and the only reason it can't be is because someone won't release the source code itself. (There has to be source code... Without source code no updates are possible and therefore no bug fixes are possible - even if the source code has "mysteriously" disappeared it is trivial to decompile compiled code if someone wanted to). Sensibly speaking, there is only one reason the authors won't release the source code - because they know it is faulty and they know that they will be liable for the errors and failure to properly test said code. How, you might ask, can they get away with that? Simple... They are being protected by someone with a lot of clout.

PS: I taught myself Assembly Language in 1982 and have worked professionally in the computer field at a high level for the last 20+ years...

Caz;

You really don't have any shame do you?