PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Virgin recruiting soon...
View Single Post
Old 4th Dec 2010, 15:37
Mister Geezer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
stansdead

At least I can pick and choose whether I give up my Command. I can always be an FO again. Any time. But, it's not so easy to go the other way.
Nail on the head there. I have been interested in VS for quite some time but admittedly less so during the past year or two.

There is a point that one can reach when it becomes very difficult to join the likes of BA, VS etc etc. I have been in the LHS for over four years now and with a TRI course penciled in along with the chance of a mixture of long and short haul flying in the LHS in the next couple of years, I have realised I would have more to loose should I move on despite still being on the 'good' side of 30.

I have been on a few VS trips as a 'hanger on' with a friend of mine who is a skipper. I always got the impression that the time down route is what you made it but that is the same if you are airline/corporate or short/long haul. The happier guys were the ones that always seemed to keep busy when downroute and got involved in various activities i.e. cycling or sailing etc etc. Many who have been in VS for 10 years plus may come across as being slightly disillusioned and will probably say that the company is not the same as it used to be, however this could probably be said for most companies both in and out of aviation. VS is not the best out there but it is far from being the worst and if you can make the lifestyle work for you then that is the main thing to consider.

Good luck to those who apply!