PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Excess Aircrew
Thread: Excess Aircrew
View Single Post
Old 4th Dec 2010, 12:44
Pontius Navigator
I don't own this space under my name. I should have leased it while I still could

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
The gentlemen's agreement

Originally Posted by tridriver
I have worked the system to get what I want and have also had my fingers burnt on broken 'gentlemans agreements' so don't rely on the friendly phone, get the JPA notice to move squared away. Getting to know who your desk officer's PA helps in this regard.
Rule 1. Establish who is being posted first, you or the DO. If the latter you must move fast.

Rule 2. Put it in writing - "Thank you for . . . I am glad we agree . . . I would be delighted to accept the offer . . . " etc etc.

Rule 3. As tri says above.

I once had an agreement that I would continue in my current disestablished post until my original tourex date. As I had started with a 6-month OOA I needed the remaining 18 month before the next shuffle.

Two months later I was posted.

What saved me was the staish and OC Ops batting for me, my poster had only been moved upstairs so he was still called to account, and it had been put in writing.

The new poster was 100% ***d off and not content put together a string of courses, about 8 months, so that he could get me off the unit and clear his books while I remained in my home. I could see where this was going as the alternative was Marham. I accepted. OC Ops called me in and asked if I wanted the posting notice cancelling as per the original deal. I was tempted but knew the poster would always win.