PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Manual braking
Thread: Manual braking
View Single Post
Old 4th Dec 2010, 12:10
Tee Emm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Also,Boeing has had issues when the A/B was selected manually to OFF,the switch triggered an RTO deceleration!...
Yes I agree it seems a matter of personal interpretation re "release the brakes". Frankly I don't know the correct answer apart from the literal words in the FCTM.
Re inadvertently going say from autobrake max right through the off position into RTO.

Like just about every other switch selection it may have unintended consequences if you stuff it up. Until a recent Boeing 737 revision, after landing the autobrake switch position was not changed for the reason you mentioned. The switch was placed to autobrake off during the shut down scans.
I believe that has been changed so that the autobrake selector is now switched off during the after landing scans. I sometimes wish Boeing would not fart around with checklist items unless absolutely necessary. One of the diagrams in the FCTM shows a visual circuit pattern. It used to be 1.5 miles wide. Then Boeing changed it to 2 miles wide "to standardise with other Boeing models". I cannot see the logic of that statement. For 33 years the 1.5 mile wide circuit was ideal. Suddenly it isn't anymore. Huh?
For my part one of the worst changes that Boeing made with the 737 checklists was the after take off check. Among other items in the old days it said "Air Conditioning and Pressurisation.....Set" Or maybe it was "checked". I can't remember.

Boeing changed that by deleting the wording and instead brought in a check of the positions of the bleed, isolation and pack switches. Commonsense indicates a wise pilot would also check the cabin rate of climb and differential as part of the check. But from personal observation in many sim trips the number of crew (captain and copilot) who never checked the cabin pressurisation instruments was quite worrying. Worse still, we noticed that the captain rarely looked up and across to the pressurisation panel to confirm the actions of the copilot. In other words if the item was not on the checklist it was not checked.

Now back to brakes on slippery runways.