PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF SAR vs Air Ambulance
View Single Post
Old 4th Dec 2010, 09:56
BobbyBolkow

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is there a V's?

Jusy got back from lying down in a dark room for a couple of hours as I found myself agreeing with CRABS sensible and informed comments! (no offence meant!).

Is there REALLY a V's? I think not. The two operations are totally different beasts, with different deployment criteria and operation. Or, as they say, 'Horses for courses'

Down here in God's own county, we have, I think, a good working relationship with the SAR boys. On tasking, if the information (and that's the crux of any deployment) is that it's a difficult or remote location, then our HEMS dispatcher will pre-notify ARCC of the possibility that SAR may be needed for winching. Sometimes, on arrival at scene, things are not what we were expecting. So my guys give the treatment and I get control to acquire other assets. No problem.

The thing is that if an Ambulance service has AA's at it's disposal, they will be used as the first response. The problem, as already stated, is one of EDUCATION! What resource can do what, where and how long will it take.

Deep respect for the SAR boys and what they do long may they continue.

Oh! Before I forget............

TOTD - 'Helicopter heros', it ain't real life mate! I would be embarressed to be seen doing some of the things they've shown in the series! As for the 2 hour carry...........It's very difficult to call in other agencies and be seen 'to fail' when you've got a camera crew egging you on to do a 2 hour carry 'cos it good TV! (IMHO)