PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Spanish ATC
Thread: Spanish ATC
View Single Post
Old 4th Dec 2010, 09:01
BeT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As a controller from a N. European area centre I have mixed views on the whole affair.

There clearly was some piss-taking in regards to salary and overtime by numerous individuals over the previous years, however this seems to have been sanctioned at the time by AENA in order to 'get the job done' and therefore should not be used as a bargaining chip by either side in the current conflict.

I can not support the unilateral 'go on a sickie' that has taken place, but on the other hand I can clearly see that the controllers are being pushed in to a tight spot (purposefully, one would imagine) and I have to admire that they have had the collective balls to do something about it.

Things clearly need to change in respect to working hrs, salary and benefits - and im sorry to Spanish ATCOs but I think you probably had it too good, for too long and now theres going to be an adjustment - however the actions of the current government have stepped well beyond an acceptable 'line'.

The thing that sickens me the most is the threat of arrest and jail-time for failure to work - it leaves me saddened and frankly amazed. My sympathies to my Spanish colleagues. Before that statement is jumped on by 100 salivating pilots or armchair controllers take a minute to appreciate the gravity of what the government is proposing to do; you would potentially get less jail time for murdering someone!

Im quite confident that if the local government tried to pull such a stunt here, most controllers would be packing their suitcases never to be seen again.

I wish success to my Spanish colleagues in reaching a speedy and acceptable resolution to the whole mess and hope that the madness being proposed by your government subsides - I think that in order to move forward you do need to return to work, at least in the short term.