PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 747 Taxi Speeds
Thread: 747 Taxi Speeds
View Single Post
Old 4th Dec 2010, 07:48
Pontius

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Straight line (assuming it's all clear, with nobody coming out of ramp areas etc): 20-25kts ish. I've taxyed faster when it's a long, straight taxyway and, obviously, slower when there's stuff around to hit/hit you.

Cornering (dry): assuming it's not some horrendous 120 degree turn, with a narrow bit of unlit tarmac, 10-maybe 15kts.

Cornering (wet): less than 10kts. There's very little weight on the nosewheel (compared to the arse end) so you can turn the tiller and this will turn the nosewheel but bugger-all happens 'cos the tyres just skid sideways across the wet tarmac and the Jumbo keeps going in a straight line

Sitting up so high, you get a false illusion of taxy speed. You think you're going reasonably slowly until your mate points out that the Formula One has finished......and we won. So, your eyes wander to the groundspeed readout a fair bit to keep the numbers under control.

How many posts do you think it will take before someone jumps on the indignation bus and lectures me on how I shouldn't taxy faster than I can walk etc etc etc