PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qantas A380 uncontained #2 engine failure
Old 4th Dec 2010, 06:05
SKS777FLYER

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I learned quite a lot from reading the accident report and the CVR transcript from one event where the pilots of a crippled United Airlines DC10 in the summer of 1989 were quite fortunate and very grateful as the event unfolded to have another experienced pilot aboard their stricken craft....suffering from multiple injuries from one of those pesky uncontained engine failures.
At my airline, though the all that was needed to show how the crew handled the emergency was recorded on the flight recorder, and there were surviving pieces of the aircraft to examine, as well as all cockpit crew, the transcript was handy for training discussion. We didn't have DC10 Captain Al Haynes to personally conduct a seminar like the DHL A300 Captain had attended sometime prior to his A300 attempted shootdown in Iraq; so we made due use of some of the CVR transcript.

There has been discussion here that the pilots were too busy to communicate with the FA's and I do not doubt that.... but I suppose that during a cabin visit by one of the pilots to assess conditions on the Qantas A380, a flight attendant or two probably intercepted the pilot and communicated with him.