PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qantas A380 uncontained #2 engine failure
Old 4th Dec 2010, 02:50
212man

Received 336 Likes on 188 Posts
I've been following this thread with interest since the beginning from many perspectives of interest, not the least being that I'm a regular A380 passenger and have been since it's first week of commercial service.

Bearfoil you make many erudite and well informed points, but I really must question your description here:

This engine exploded. The pressure within the case became so great, it exceeded maximum designed for limits, quite high, as we know. A five hundred pound Nickle Alloy disc was blown off its shaft with enough force to double back its drive arm, causing it to separate into three pieces and completely shred a Titanium container on its way through a wing and its spar. No data exists as to how much altitude it gained after exiting the a/c wing.
The engine did not 'explode.' The turbine disc experienced considerable mechanical overload - caused by the overspeed - resulting in ductile overstress failure. Explosions are caused by the rapid expansion of high pressure gases - either through combustion or release of pressurised gas. That's not what happened here though, because of the magnitude of the energy involved, the damage resulting was similar to that caused by an explosion.