PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Spanish ATC
Thread: Spanish ATC
View Single Post
Old 4th Dec 2010, 01:27
Old_Fokker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Andrijander:

"Excuse the "shouting" but your argument is twisted and I see it repeated everywhere."

That is because you guys have a PR problem. Today's episode wont improve your ratings, I am afraid.

As I stated in an earlier post, USCA (Spanish ATC union) did not do such a bad job earlier this year when trying to get their viewpoints across to the general public which had grown accustomed to your periodical, strategically planned real strikes. Given the economic times we are in, it is a difficult job to explain to a country with a 20% unemployment rate and a minimal wage established at some € 8,800/year, that the roughly 2,500 ATC personnel making an average of € 350,000/year are unfairly treated.

Today was simply 'one bridge too far'. There was no strike today, just a kneejerk reaction of abandoning their jobs which very likely will have grave consequences, not only for their cause, but also for their future.

"Some people even had been granted a reduced working time (=less money too, you know?) to take care of their kids or sick relatives."

Are you aware of the fact that many medical operations, some very urgent, have had to be cancelled all over Spain, and possible beyond, because of Spanish ATC's walk-out today?

"Or you're to say that people traveling this weekend are more important than people traveling any other, not universally calendar marked, date?"

More important, no. More number of people, yes.

"were do you draw the line between workers rights and other rights? (freedom of movement in this case, but who knows what next?)"

You have a right to go on strike. You do NOT have a right to abandon your work unannounced over made-up medical reasons. Because THAT is what happened today. There was no strike announcement, ATC simply left their jobs. And a collective of 'just' 2,500 certainly does not have the right to collectively abandon their work, thereby causing MASSIVE chaos all over Spain and virtually paralize it, at a time when other parts of Europe are coping with considerable weather issues. If you cannot see that then I am afraid that the quality of Spanish ATC is far worse than discussed elsewhere on this board, presuming you are a Spanish ATC, that is.

"But rumour has it that those figures were not what controllers earned, but how much those controllers cost to the company (so not the home take pay, but added tax, training costs, admin costs and even the electricity and heating bill of the facilities were they work amongst others). Fact? I do not know, but given that the government had an agenda, I'd be very careful about what they say. "

Perhaps you can enlighten us and give us the real data, preferably with a link to a credible source.

Indigopete

"But if 99% of a workforce are able to co-ordinate themselves to effectively bring their operation to a halt en masse, then maybe they have a point to make and maybe we should listen to them. They clearly haven't been up until now."

I am sorry but I don't buy it. If the new working conditions for ATC are such a risk for passenger safety as they claim, there would have been much more subtle and effective ways for them to get their message across to the general public and thus, put pressure on their negotiation partners. It is also not the first time that they deny to do their jobs over bogus medical reason, though not at such a massive scale as today, causing considerable delays. Earlier this year they did it while their union was in negotiations with AENA.