PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Spanish ATC
Thread: Spanish ATC
View Single Post
Old 3rd Dec 2010, 23:51
Old_Fokker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
paidworker:

"the fact is that the King of Spain ( who is supposed not to be involved in state matters like this ) signed a decree saying that it is illegal for atc to go on strike."

Wrong on 2 accounts

Firstly, the King of Spain has to sign ALL royal decrees as the word "royal" implies (Real Decreto). A decree is made up by the government, approved and then send on to the King for official approval which merely consists in him signing it.

Secondly, the urgent decree does not say it is illegal for atc to go on strike. Not even close!

The decree had to be made up and signed by the King to be able to allow the Spanish Military take control over Spanish Airspace. I don't know if you are aware but the days that the Spanish Military could do as it pleased in Spain are long gone. They need decrees now before they can step in.

"So long as state sponsored television and newspapers continue to print the " party line " I do accept it is very hard for people to see what is really happening."

I don't know what television you are watching nor what papers you read, but even the right leaning Spanish media are reporting this as it is: that it is not a strike but ATC personnel abandoning their jobs.

"True Old Fokker, but as you say that was then and this is now."

Did you bother to check the source I gave? That was January of this year.

"As Jtoledo says though those figures no longer are the real issue , as for Zapaterro and his bunch of a** clowns..."

Your true colours are showing now, but continue...

"...they are earning a lot more than their predecessors were ten years ago. People keep pointing at the "money" but its not the issue. Looking into the eyes of a spanish controller coming off shift is almost frightening , red eyed , bleary , not all there because they are fatigued and fed up."

Poppycock!

Spanish government's new conditions establish a max working hours per year of 1,670. Before, when working conditions were very favourable for Spanish ATC, they very often did a total of 1,700 working hours per year, 500 more than the 1,200 base and earning considerably more because those 500 were considered extra hours. Hence the huge salaries and the huge costs. And all that while their productivity is below European average.

Last edited by Old_Fokker; 3rd Dec 2010 at 23:54. Reason: Typo