PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qantas A380 uncontained #2 engine failure
Old 3rd Dec 2010, 22:04
NigelOnDraft

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
McGinty

Therefore there is unfortunately no recording of the flight crew's handling of this incident, a recording which would have proved invaluable for future cockpit crew training. The period before over-writing on the CVR is stupidly short.
I am not sure what industry you are in...? However, as a commercial pilot, my understanding of a CVR is for accident understanding/investigation purposes, not training.

This incident/accident might prove a good debating point over why the CVR is there, and fortunately it has tended to my view, in that it is not to (cannot) be used.

We have 5 crew here, no criticism(s) implied, and an engineering issue leading to mechanical problems, and a safe outcome. I am not sure the CVR would add anything to the root causes / investigation.

If I have a similar incident, I would rather act iaw my training / skills, and not second guessing the CVR write-up.

If the crew are willing for their actions to be used in a training video, then I am sure they will willingly undertake the flight again, in the Sim I agree that the CRM interactions might be interesting, good for training, but I'd rather that be with the crews' consent.

Just my view...

NoD