PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EASA ATO changes are a good thing.
View Single Post
Old 3rd Dec 2010, 17:39
421C

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What we really need is to take a step back, and reinstate the individual flight instructor as the authority in flight training, by getting rid of the RTF concept altogether.
Thats like saying that we need to get rid of the company registration concept and reinstate the sole trader as the mainstay of business.
DFC,

The alternative is to have both the sole trader and the company, and give the customer the choice - ie. the Part 61/141 model of training in the US. It seems to me a legitimate question in abstract debate, although the European mindset on training and organisational approvals in general is such that Part 61 is inconceivable in practice.

I believe the Part 61 model is effective. Instructors are trained to instruct. The FAA publishes standards (and rather good books on ground and flight training) in Part 61 and the Practical Test Standards. Independent Examiners conduct check rides. It works.

I know how deep and absolute the conviction in the UK training community is about the necessity for organisational regulation to maintain "standards". That doesn't mean there is no other legitimate way.

brgds
421C