PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Chinook - Still Hitting Back 3 (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 3rd Dec 2010, 15:50
bast0n

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BOAC

unbelievable crap. That ably demonstrates that some of our posters (Cazatou for sure) have NO (or have 'lost' ANY) IDEA of

a) The RTS of the a/c
b) What the MSA was
c) How such low-level ops are conducted
d) the fact that there was, as far as we know, NO PLAN to 'transit the Mull' in any case.
Hang on a minute old chap! Don't get over excited!

This was a perfectly straight forward low level passenger flight from a to b that ended up running into a hill. Very sad.

These flights are not the stuff of rocket science - simple to plan and simple to fly, and actually, usually great fun as well.

This one ended in tragedy and on the balance of probaility, for equally simple reasons.

No - no one can be 100% sure of anything in life before or after any event.

This thread is stuffed with low-level experts
There I think you may be correct and I find both sides of this discussion fascinating both for the divergent views and the differing interpretations of events leading to the crash.

My view - I suspect you think - is simplistic. Your are right in that view, if you hold it, as I think this was a simple case of pilot error.

"Nibbled to death by ducks" used to be the saying of how all the parameters leading to an accident happened and eventually all the cogs lined up. The lining up of these cogs was usually an unfortunate combination of simple steps, any one of which had it been removed would have prevented tragedy.

I think that emotive statements such as "unbelievable crap" do little to further the arguement or your status within it.