PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EZY/FR Ruining BA's Shorthaul
View Single Post
Old 6th Sep 2001, 04:03
Norman Stanley Fletcher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am a turboprop Captain and have just turned down an offer from easyJet in favour of an Airbus job with a 'full service' airline. It was one of the most difficult decisions I have ever made as I was most impressed with easyJet. Apart from the travel to LTN, a big factor that swayed it was the enormous risk easyJet are running with this expansion programme. They are taking (so I am told) 165 pilots this year and a similar number next year. That is an enormous training budget and I felt concerned that such an expansion would be too risky and unsustainable over any period of time. In essence, I had a doubt about their long term survivability.

I have absolutely no axe to grind and admire both my future employer and easyJet. I heartily wish them both great success. As an ex-Debonair pilot, I know first hand the awfulness of redundancy and sincerely wish all my professional colleagues to be spared that. If some airline goes under soon then there will be no winners and I would hope none of us would be ungracious enough to wish that on anyone else.

[ 06 September 2001: Message edited by: Norman Stanley Fletcher ]