PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aircraft without a loss of oil pressure procedure
Old 3rd Dec 2010, 10:50
Old Fella

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Loss of Oil Quantity - Effects

Guppy, You have not been reluctant to "put down" aerobat77 as being a troll. Whilst you may well have reason to feel as you do about aerobat77 I have to question some of the assertions you have made. You write "loss of oil does not necessarily mean a loss in pressure, nor does a decrease in quantity (loss of oil) show up as an increase in temperature". I accept that loss of some oil does not necessarily result in a loss of pressure, but a total loss of oil must result in a loss of oil pressure. Also, loss of oil quantity can most certainly show up as an increase in oil temperature, just as loss of coolant will result in an increase in coolant temperature in liquid cooled engines. Not everyone will understand that an important part of the work oil does is to carry heat away from the engine. With reduced quantity the oil is circulated quicker and a temperature increase will take place accompanied by a drop in indicated pressure. I also note that you choose to not respond to my comments regarding reduction gearbox lubrication on C130 and P3/Electra aircraft. None of us are infallible sir.