PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pay and allowances
View Single Post
Old 3rd Dec 2010, 07:34
London Eye

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Admin Blunty Said: In the real world pay and allowances rise and fall with the economic outlook, its about time they did in the military. I can see flying pay falling in the near future and raising if, if there is an increase in airline recruitment. As for Flt Lt Bloggs losing flying pay because he's posted to a ground tour, well if Flt Lt Bloggs doesn't like it the door is open and likely to remain so for some time. Oh and it saves on a redundancy payment. If PVRs start to rise, just change the policy again and introduce a FRI. Its called supply and demand. Flying pay and FRIs should be linked to external recruitment activity in the aviation sector.

Supply and demand might work well for some but is not exactly the cornerstone of an organisation that should and does talk about loyalty. If any employer attempts to use any economic downturn as a remuneration/manning regulator it can only expect employees to expect such behaviour and plan for it accordingly in the good times. It is a little bit like (and I know that it is a stretch so stay with me for a bit) the compassionate repatriation system: it is not only important that an individual is given the treatment that they deserve when things go wrong but that everybody else feels that they would be treated equally well in a difficult situation. If we attempt to use things such as the allowances package as a manning regulator many would be actively looking for a job during any economic good times because they would know what was coming in the next downturn. By all means take flying pay away or reduce it if there is a model that says that you can recruit and retain a viable pool without it; however, using it as a manning lever would be a big step down a sad road.