PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qantas~The Loss Of Invincibility
View Single Post
Old 3rd Dec 2010, 04:55
Worrals in the wilds

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think one of the greatest short-comings in the public relations area for Qantas is having the CEO, Mr Joyce, or the PR lady fronting the media.
I think the CEO came across well and flying on the A380 was a particularly good touch, but IMHO he would have been better complemented in the television media by either a pet LAME or pet pilot, preferably uniformed, middle aged and pleasant looking ('trustworthy' in PR 101, if not always in real life ) instead of a pouting gen Y who repeatedly gave the impression that Qantas thinks its passengers are idiots. There's no point in being overly technical with explanations, but going so far the other way (there were like, fire engines and stuff) appears flippant and doesn't lend a gravity to the airline's response that I think the public expect.

Just my $0.02 and PR is a subjective game at the best of times, but once the Captain card was played (which I agree they did very well, and they were lucky to have such an experienced crew on board so they could do that) I don't think they handled the TV media particularly cleverly. I know a lot of people that never use their computer for anything except emails who have been concerned about Qantas 'problems', primarily after watching the news on telly.

...outside of those platforms such as PPRuNe and Faceyawn that are being actively monitored by the airline.
Should we all be installing anonymisers?

Last edited by Worrals in the wilds; 3rd Dec 2010 at 05:23.