PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - It was all better back then...
View Single Post
Old 2nd Dec 2010, 23:54
Jober.as.a.Sudge

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Checkboard
So what?
then...
Originally Posted by Checkboard
...show me the regulation that says you have to be able to glide to a runway...
That's some sort of "head-in-the-sand" attitude there Checkboard!!!

Of course there's no regulation that states you must remain within gliding distance of a runway en-route point A to point B -what a ridiculous, nonsensical suggestion!!!
The point of the discussion is that it is good basic Airmanship to remain within gliding distance of the runway when operating within an airport environment (ie: the circuit), particularly when operating a single-engine aircraft, keeping in mind the "where will I go if it stops" scenario.

When operating within a busy airport environment, I think of flying a tight, efficient circuit as common courtesy, coupled with Airmanship (again). That means that if I am using the airspace and runway environment efficiently, my actions do not force a change of (approach) plan on others, the "system" works appropriately and for everyone.

Then there is the small matter of energy management to be considered. Why would you not use the energy inherent in your aircraft to aid and assist your approach path??? I remember one discussion here a year or 2 ago from a new CPL with a 1st job on a C207 (personally I think they're a pig, but that's a discussion for another time). In his "vast" experience of the 207 he decided the best way to land them was to set up on a loooong final, then drag it onto the runway with power. All the way in on the back of the L/D curve with it balls to the wall No thought there for any changes of condition that may require additional power. No energy left to do anything but stall if it went even slightly pear-shaped. And all this from a 747-size circuit.

Those that fly these enormous, inefficient circuits (God alone knows what they're thinking) would truly struggle to fly in places where terrain severely restricts -and in some cases modifies the shape of- the circuit pattern. A case in point from my own experience is NZMF (Milford Sound) where the "circuit" for RWY29 starts abeam Stirling Falls, around 4NM from the RWY11 threshold, and roughly on the extended centreline of that RWY. You need to be not above 1,000' at that point. You then follow the wall of mountains until roughly ABM the airport, where the circuit widens out a little -but watch for aircraft joining from the ADA RP/Arthur Valley -they'll be at your level! Then passing ABM the 29 threshold (your touch-down point) your path is again restricted by the Sheerdown mountains. Maintain your level, staying as close as you can to the rock-face until you're in the wider area formed by the confluence of the Cleddau and Tutoko Valleys. That's where you start your turn onto "finals" and descent from 1,000' to 500'. Maintain that 500' until established on the RWY centreline. Then you'll really start using your "energy management" techniques. Initially, you'll be struggling to get her down: it'll look like you're going to massively overshoot the threshold. But as you get in towards the Cleddau River, you'll find massive sink awful sudden making it look like a tree-top or river-bed arrival is likely. Just add a trickle of power to modify your descent rate -the sink will disappear again as you cross the river, then all you'll have to contend with is the howling x-wind from the Arthur Valley. Get that about right, you'll touchdown pretty much on the numbers, with little enough remaining energy that you should be able to turn off into the parking area without use of brakes, or at best only very light use there-of.

And all of this is in the midst of 30+ other aircraft, all doing the same thing...

If you're interested, the VFG plates are available here. Personally I've operated into NZMF from when I was a student -I worked in there in another capacity at the time. My NZMF Rating (required at the time) arrived in the same post as my PPL. Apparently the rating committee were of the opinion that they couldn't keep me out as an SPL, so why would they even bother trying as a PPL/CPL. I would surely like to see some of these people (I hesitate to call them pilots) that fly these enormous circuits attempt to operate in here. I'm sure some of the old PNG hands could illustrate my points with many examples of their own.

When I was a student pilot, glide-approach proficiency was mandatory pre-solo -in point of fact, the fact that you were getting glide-approach training was the prime indicator of your impending 1st solo.

Worth thinking about I reckon.

Last edited by Jober.as.a.Sudge; 3rd Dec 2010 at 00:05.