PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - JAR Class 1 Medical - Heart Murmur
View Single Post
Old 2nd Dec 2010, 23:25
FlexGate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Airway,

Basically I decided to undergo a Class 2 Medical as I do not see myself start commercial flight training fairly soon with the current economic climate and the uncertainty of cadet jobs out there. However, I do wish to obtain a PPL as I would love to be able to fly for leisure. But if the market picks up for 200hr pilots, then I may go and do the ATPL, CPL, IR, etc through the modular route.

Now back to the heart murmur itself. When I had the Class 2 taken, everything was fine appart from the ECG, when the AME detected irregular patterns. But I had told him before the medical exam started that I had a Mitral valve prolapse with mild MR, so he wasn't that shocked by it. He couldn't issue me the medical there and then because he needed additional information about the murmur, so he asked me to get cardiology reports from the hospital.

And god bless the NHS, they took around 4 weeks for them to send me the reports after me posting my application form!!! However, I only have just received them last week and am hoping to recieve a letter from the CAA in the next 2 weeks or so about the results.

My Report came up with the following results:

REPORT (2009)
ECG: SR 80
Left Ventricle: Good LV function
Left Atrium: normal size
Aortic Valve: Tricuspid, opens well
Mitral Valve: Myxomatous floppy MV with prolapse of both leaflets, mild MR
Right Ventricle: Normal
Right Atrium: Normal
Tricuspid Valve: Normal
Pulmonary Valve: Normal

IVSd .852cm
LVIDd 5.16cm
LVPWd .969cm
LVIDs 2.19cm
Ao root diam 2.92cm
LA dimension 2.88cm
The Cardiology report also stated that my murmur was a grade 2. I'm not sure if they are within the parameters of the issue of a Class 2 medical, but I will have to wait and see. The AME also told me that the murmur parameters are basically the same as a Class 1 so if I can pass the Class 2 medical, I should have no problems with the Class 1 as everything else is in order (or seems to be at least), however there may be a restriction with the Class 1.

All the best to you as well, hope it all goes well.

Last edited by FlexGate; 3rd Dec 2010 at 11:09.