PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilot experience/passenger choice
View Single Post
Old 2nd Dec 2010, 23:16
Jabiman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm interested as you are happy to give your views on how our profession should be reported on. I'm interested in your profession so I can understand how I can judge your experience.

Lets just say I am a consumer advocate who is surprised by the state of the worldwide aviation industry.

Unfortunately GA experience is utterly irrelevant when you're sitting in an airliner, it's a completely different type of operation.

That is an incorrect statement and is the line that the airlines are trying to push in an effort to justify their current course of action. Learning to fly a Cessna and then jumping into a jet is one way to ensure that said pilot has learnt little or no airmanship. This quality is impossible to train and only comes with experience but in an emergency situation can mean the difference between life and death.

Whilst some accidents have a lack of experience as a possible contributory factor, many do not

Agreed but all the other factors we will never have any influence over but the pilot experience is one that we hopefully we may. And an airline that cuts costs by employing minimally trained pilots on minimum pay is also going to skimp on the others so this will become readily apparent.

could you please explain to me where future experienced airline pilots will come from if you do not also currently have less experienced airline pilots?

There is already an oversupply which just continues to grow as integrated training continues to churn out young hopefuls who have no chance of getting a job unless they shell out more for line training etc.
Assuming the pilot profession is subject to the laws of supply and demand, then that is the reason that a FO is paid so little, there are just too many of them.