PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Weather holding fuel
View Single Post
Old 2nd Dec 2010, 21:58
schlong hauler

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For your information inter and tempo weather does not necessarily mean 30 or 60 minutes hold. Only if the weather for that period is at or below the alternate minima or in most RPT cases at or below the special alternate minima. I don't expect for a guy in front of a radar to have to worry about this however assumptions about an aircraft's fuel status based on GA type weather analysis is plain wrong.
Special Alternate Minima section can be found in the AIP ENR 1.5 page 31 paragraph 6.2 The aircraft navigation equipment is shown in the ATS data block of the flight plan. Every jet and probably 90% of all turboprops are capable of this basic equipment level. If holding is not promulgated for an airport I can't hold. What if we all did this just using the information supplied and flight plan fuel ordering accordingly. The ASIRs due low fuel status would make a mockery of Mum and the Kids fuel policy. A 20 minute delay in a holding pattern in level flight at 20,000' is 700-800kgs extra in a 737. I am not having a go at any individual but at a system problem. A Lack of understanding and information about such a fundamental subject like fuel and holding expectation for traffic management when we are inundated with notams about cranes miles from a runway is indicative of a department pointing in the wrong direction. GIGO.