PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - China Airlines B747 Crash (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 24th Aug 2002, 14:15
SaturnV

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JBS, thank you for your discourse on the terrorist mind, and thank you as well for paraphrasing Captain Yossarian. Yesterday, I had promised myself to stay away from this thread because it is badly sidetracked and increasingly becoming a forensic examination of your mental state, an examination that you appear to revel in. Nearly every new post of yours seems to peel away a bit more of the onion, so to speak.

But three comments. You wrote:
The bomb explanation has flimsy precedent of Air India Flight 182 and required plots, conspiracy, money changing, and boom boxes that go boom. Sabotage is a most rare cause of airplane accidents. I would call that the paranoia explanation, the looney explanation. It requires belief that strangers are out to
kill the person and do it by talking behind their backs in secret hideouts using codes. I would call that the insane explanation.
........If I were ever persuaded that bombs blew Air India Flight 182 and Pan Am Flight 103 out of the sky, then you can call me crazy and I will be guilty as charged. To believe any bomb scenario is an exercise in suspended disbelief.
Perhaps you would like to explain what exactly happened in the baggage room at Narita as luggage from CP 003 was being transfered to Air India less than an hour before the crash of AI 182? And if it helps your explanation, I won't be frightened by your applying your apparently extensive knowledge of terminal ballistics and explosion kinetics to the Narita event.

Secondly, if you accurately phrased Senator McCain's reply in which he said that his office did not 'initiate the investigation' of you, he was being correct (at least technically). His office did not initiate the investigation, the Secret Service did. The most likely explanation is that your email to him was sufficiently alarming that his staff quickly referred it to the Secret Service, and after the Secret Service read it, because of its contents or phrasing, they initiated an investigation and immediately sent two agents to visit you.

As a Navy squadron air intelligence officer and a major in Army intelligence (reserves, I assume) you should be aware the National Security Agency (which runs Echelon) is prohibited by law from eavesdropping domestically. (And please, let's not get into a discussion of router paths, intercepts, etc.) Speaking for myself, I would be chagrined, subdued, and subsequently quiet about having to be visited by the Secret Service because of something I wrote. I certainly wouldn't trumpet it to the world if I was trying to establish my credentials. And yes, the Internet is a wonderful place these days. You may have shown the Secret Service agent a map of where she lived; nowadays, one can post a picture of your house.

Finally, I am not sure how one "seals" the forward cargo door of Air Force One. (In your earlier correspondence, you had called for these to be 'locked', but I never understood what additional locking you had in mind.) And I think if you look at the PBS television special on Air Force One, you will see images of Air Force technicians climbing into the lower fuselage through the forward cargo door.)