PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Finnair A340 attempts takeoff from taxiway
Old 2nd Dec 2010, 11:52
Dengue_Dude

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here's a hint from a 'skygod':

"Don't assume . . . check".

Many people have thought that with the advent of all glass cockpits, the level of monitoring has been affected. Humans are monitoring computers and not the other way around - potentially flawed as a concept.

I was also not aware that I said I never made a mistake, I stopped plenty and mine were never of this magnitude, and usually self-declared. Am I proud of that - damn right.

I think in those days we had more appreciation of size, inertia and plain old responsibility tempered with respect for hardware and liveware.

I maintain, that for this to happen there is NO excuse (notice I didn't say 'reasons'), the fare-paying public (or anyone else come to that) have a right to expect high (higher than normal) levels of professionalism in flightcrew.

OKAY guys - off you go again, I've got broad shoulders and spent quite a few years as a Flight Safety Officer and privy to the results of quite a few inquiries. Just call me cynical (perhaps one of the nicer things you're thinking). I can cope - the truth may even out.