PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Renamed & Merged: Qantas Severe Engine Damage Over Indonesia
Old 2nd Dec 2010, 07:58
hadagutfull

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sunfish...

One would have to think that the powerplants engineering section would be monitoring engine trending data, however the technical knowledge of the internals of an engine would have been the Engine Overhaul Centre. Even if it was still in operation, I dont know if there would have been the sufficient experience gained as the engine is a new type.

As for the 744 RR engines, it has really hurt the operation not having the on hand expertise. We have never seen a higher level of engine issues and quality problems.Wether its directly related to the attention to quality and detail given in house or the lack it shown by the outsourced MRO's, who just do the bare minimum in the minimal time.. i dont know.

Even simple things like the amount of parts fitted U/S ex stores, failure of components that require engines to be dropped to replace, HP bleed and firewall shutoff valves failing tests,etc etc... all these things seem to be of regular occurrences in current times... whilst not major defects, they create a strain on manpower and scheduling, which impacts the operation.( I think most of these components are now outsourced, as opposed to the full overhaul facilities we used to have... meaning any parts failing tests would be back in the workshop to be fixed.. and not make their way to the flight line)

As for the 380 engines, the entire engine build manual is available on the intranet for those who want to see it. It also has a list of ALL the AD's that were issued for that engine type, explaining how and why and when.
The information is not a secret... I just wonder who is actually monitoring these publications from the manufacturer, and assessing the applicability or requirement to implement these directives into the QF fleet.

cheers.