PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Approach ban - single pilot IFR ops.
View Single Post
Old 2nd Dec 2010, 07:38
G-SPOTs Lost

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thats a bit happy clappy....

Many seem to create an authorative aura upon here - that can be good and bad, sometimes people can back it up with facts sometimes they cant....

Personally I feel some of these threads can literally be quite dangerous, I'm not suggesting people would launch off into weather as authorised by Pprune (or would they) but theres now a new rumour floating about that SPIR minima is 531.35 meters (or whatever) due to some wonderful manipulation of a pocket calculator and some CATII landing lights.

So apologies if you think the thread got hijacked by some strutting peacocks, its no more macho than somebody attempting to self authorise themselves down to the very very least restrictive minima they can possibly eek out of some magazine article and what they can seek to find out on pprune.

In much the same way you see/perceive the antagonists on here feather waving, I see pilots propping up the flying club bar trying to be more capable than the next guy launching off in all kinds of crap weather overreliant on automatics pleased with themsleves that by some interpretation of the rulebook and registration they managed to to shave 250m from the required minima.

That view is probably wrong I admit and apologies to those who take a sensible view of minima, equipment redundancy, currency etc in those kind of operations etc etc, but its just the image that jumps into my head for that I apologise.

That said , the fact that somebody managed to work out a minima in a SPIR/SEP thats less than my 550m in a 2 sim trained crew / CATII capable / 2 channel autopilot equipped bizjet is slightly concerning....

Do you not agree?

Anyway back on topic if you like