PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Search to resume
View Single Post
Old 2nd Dec 2010, 03:42
cpp6f

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
YouTube - Lost - The Mystery Of Flight 447 - Part 5

The BBC documentary speculates that the failure to increase thrust after the loss of AIS led to the stall. Correct me if I'm wrong, but on a simple aircraft with no automation, reduced thrust should not change the AoA - thus a stall should not occur - the only thing that would happen is the aircraft would descend in a controlled manner. So what are they really trying to say? Are they just dumbing it down for a non-technical audience?

I don't have much expertise here, but I'd still like to understand what might have gone wrong. Are these the possible scenarios that could have caused the crash?

(a) Severe turbulence caused the plane to stall or overspeed - thus the crash was caused directly by flying the plane into a powerful storm and the malfunction of the pitot tubes did not play a significant part. Thus it is suicidal to fly into such a storm even if you have a perfectly functioning flight control system and improvements in radar or interpretation are needed to safely fly through the ITCZ.

(b) It is reasonably safe to fly through such a severe storm if one maintains a large enough airspeed cushion above stall speed and below mach buffet speed. But without accurate airspeed data, this cushion could not be maintained and the severe turbulence caused the plane to stall or overspeed.

(c) The autopilot is unstable (in severe turbulence) with loss of airspeed data and caused the plane to stall. Had the pilots been in direct control of the aircraft the entire time, this would not have happened. This is corroborated by the incident on Quantas flight 72. Thus the flight control system of the A330 has design flaws that need to be corrected.

Any other scenarios that could have led to the crash?