PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CBC says some operators not recording snags in journey log
Old 1st Dec 2010, 20:02
+TSRA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thats right CBC, my job since day one has been to make sure that Daddy does not make it home at night. Seriously, I sleep better that way!
You dont really understand sarcasm all that well do you J.O.

If you actually READ what I posted before deciding to take a pot shot, you'll see it. Or not...

Anyways, I digress,
There are snags and then there are maintenance issues. I'll fly with snags - I wont fly with maintenance issues. I would bet that most pilots are the same.

Just this morning I grounded my bird for a maintenance issue with no thought of how my boss would feel or what the company would say - I need not worry because I would have been fired on the spot if I had flown, and I would never, ever force another pilot to fly if they felt uncomfortable about the aircraft - not because Im trying to appease a regulator, but because its the right thing to do.

The article infers that pilots are made to continue flying aircraft with maintenance issues on their aircraft and that it is wide spread - that every aircraft you get on is a death trap.
Thats just not true - aircraft fly with snags all the time, which is why I want to know if the reporters tires are full of air, or if all the lights work. At the end of the day a snag is not going to make the airplane fall out of the sky, but a maintenance issue might.

Maybe I'm the only pilot in all of Canada who has had the luck of never working for a company that made me fly an airplane when I had doubts about the plane - but I dont think so.

Also... I've had three very close friends die in aircraft accidents because of maintenance related issues, but then they were catastrophic failures of components that no one saw coming...so you can bite your tounge.