PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RFDS Instrument hours requirement
View Single Post
Old 24th Aug 2002, 08:34
Chimbu chuckles

Grandpa Aerotart

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
BSing logbooks by young up and commers is unfortunately very real and unfortunately too common.

It's all part of the mentality that says any time spent in GA is wasted and therefore if I log whatever I need to meet QF or whomever's minimum requirements then I'll be out of here sooner rather than later. A mentality that is rife in OZ GA at the moment and has been getting worse for probably 10+ years.

I've only managed 400 odd hours IF Flight time in the 10000+ hours I've logged. Considering that about 1/2 that total was SP IFR RPT and mostly with no autopilot you can see how hard it is to log real IF time in flight.

And yet I know of young chaps who think it's perfectly reasonable to log all time above FL210 or at night as IF Flight time(and all of that driving an A/P and FMS)...and not even showing them CASA's version of how you should log IF time causes them pause.

I never even saw a serviceable autopilot my first 5000 hours...as far as I'm concerned if you're logging more than about .5 IF per sector, and only then if you actually handfly fly an approach be it practice or real, you are BSing.

Chuck